FAQs

Whole Room

+ Are Halosil International’s products EPA registered?
Not only are Halosil International products registered but they are also EPA approved. Products have been extensively tested and validated by well-known and reputable third party laboratories to function as advertised and labeled. Halosil International’s product labels, HaloMist and HaloFogger user’s manual, website content and brochure information are subject to ongoing EPA review as part of the approval process. Be aware that some technologies, including UV, are seemingly unregulated as they are currently required simply to list the site of assembly by notification to the EPA. Presently, there is no requirement for assuring efficacy of the UV equipment or supplier claims.
+ Why fog versus spray and wipe?
There is enough evidence to show that spray and wipe is not an effective process for disinfection. While spray and wipe are necessary for cleaning, more contemporary methods such as fogging for whole room disinfection are needed to assure that all surfaces whether visible or not, are reached and pathogens are eliminated.
+ Is the HaloFogger safe to use around sensitive healthcare equipment and computer keyboards?
The HaloFogger produces a dry mist which when used as directed, does not condense or corrode and can be effectively used in healthcare settings including patients rooms, waiting areas, treatment rooms and operating rooms.
+ Why use peroxide based products versus chlorine?

There are many advantages of using peroxide versus chlorine for disinfection. In healthcare and surface disinfection applications, Halosil International’s peroxide based disinfection products are EPA approved for fogging. By fogging versus spray and wiping, the product reaches every surface in a room whether visible or not and thus minimizes the impact of human labor inconsistencies. These products are effective, odor-free, economical, do not condense or corrode, have a long shelf life and are safe to use around sensitive equipment. Hydrogen peroxide decomposes into oxygen and water and is safe for people and the environment.

Chlorine bleach, while a powerful disinfectant, produces harmful and toxic disinfection by-products. Other issues with chlorinated products include strong odor and corrosion, making them unsuitable for fogging application.

AQUAOX™ solutions

+ What are Aquaox Solutions?

AQUAOX™ solutions are Electrochemical Activated (ECA) water solutions that provide no-residue cleaning and hospital-level disinfection.  Aquaox 112 Cleaner is a non-hazardous chlorine-free liquid formulation that does not produce fumes or contains hazardous “butyl” solvents or other potentially dangerous substances such as phosphates or ammonia. It is a 200 ppm Sodium Hydroxide solution with a minimum pH of 11 and is an effective cleaning and degreasing agent that is used in medical, institutional, industrial and commercial applications.

The Aquaox 275 and 525 Disinfectants are produced at a near neutral pH where the predominant antimicrobial agent is Hypochlorous Acid (HOCl), an efficient and efficacious species of chlorine that kills bacteria, fungi, molds, viruses, and spores without dangerous chemicals.

+ Are Aquaox Disinfectants safe for humans/pets/plants?
Yes.  Aquaox Disinfectants are biodegradable, non-toxic and absent of residue, therefore there is no need to vacate the premises while applying the product.
+ What is the best way to clean and disinfect with the Aquaox system?
The Aquaox system is a simple 2-step process, where we first clean high contact surfaces with Aquaox 112 Cleaner and a microfiber towels to remove visible soil and organic matter.  Then we apply Aquaox 275 or 525 disinfectant using an electrostatic sprayer for full room disinfection.
+ What kind of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) must be worn during spray application?
No PPE is required because the products are non-toxic, and our prescribed droplet size and residual chlorine levels are below OSHA allowable exposure limits.

Penetrexx Technology

+ How does the Penetrexx technology work?
The active ingredient in the Penetrexx antimicrobial forms a colorless, odorless, positively charged, polymer, which chemically bonds to the treated surface, think of it as a layer of electrically charged swords. When a microorganism comes in contact with the treated surface, the "quat" or "sword” puncture the cell membrane and the electrical charge shocks the cell. Since nothing is transferred to the now dead cell, the antimicrobial doesn’t lose strength and the sword is ready for the next cell to contact it. Normal cleaning of treated surfaces is necessary to prevent the buildup of dirt, dead microbes, etc. which could cover the “swords”, prohibiting it from killing microorganisms.
+ What is the difference between Pentrexx and other antimicrobials?
Conventional products are absorbed into living cells and kill by way of poisoning the organism. They are designed to act quickly and dissipate quickly to avoid adverse effects to humans and animals due to their toxic ingredients. Penetrexx technology provides an effective initial microbial kill when applied, like the conventional methods but it also provides long-term control of growth on treated surfaces…that basically lasts for the life of that surface. The surface itself is modified to make it actively antimicrobial for the normal life of the substrate onto which it is applied.
+ What kind of preparation is needed for treatment?
Clearstream’s MEDI DEFENSE line has a compatible surface preparation and cleaning product (mPerial) that is also a disinfectant. First clean high-touch surfaces with mPerial and a microfiber towel to remove visible soil and organic matter.  Penetrexx when used in tandem with mPerial, creates the perfect combination of cleaner and antimicrobial protection.

Electrostatic spraying systems (ESS)

+ What is Air-Assisted Electrostatic Spraying
At the tip of the ESS MaxChargeTM nozzle is a tiny electrode which applies an electrical charge to the spray. This electrical charging causes a natural force of attraction between the spray droplets and target surface, similar to the attraction between items of clothing created by the tumbling of a clothes dryer. The charge on the droplets is small, but the force pulling the spray towards the target is up to 75 times greater than the force of gravity. Droplets literally reverse direction and move upwards, against gravity, when passing a target surface. This remarkable phenomenon by which the spray coats the undersides and the backsides of the spray target is known as electrostatic “wraparound.” In practical terms, this means that spray reaches the underside, the back side, and the nooks or crevasses of the target surface.

Hand Hygiene Plus

+ How does The UV Box work?
Plug the unit into a 110 volt standard outlet, turn the power switch on and a green light illuminates.  Turn the knob and open the door and place the item to be decontaminated into the box.  Close and lock the door, press the red button (lights up during the 55 second cycle). When the red light goes off, decontamination is done.  You might notice a slight ozone smell when the cycle is complete.
+ Can I put anything in The UV Box?
Yes, it will not harm electronic devices such as smartphones and iPad tablets.  Personal items such as employee badges or other small items can also go in the box.
+ Does the system have any limitations?
You shouldn't lay things on top of one another.  If the UV light can’t hit it, it can’t disinfect it.
+ How do I know The UV Box is working?
On the front of the box is a plastic bubble that will turn blue when the UV lights are on.
+ Can I test The UV Box?
Yes, there are yellow UV test tabs that turn green when place in the box and a cycle is run.
+ Is there any maintenance that needs to be done on The UV Box?
Lights should last about 16,000 hours and have a 7-year warranty, once registered.  If the chamber is very dirty, inside reflectors in the box can be cleaned using a mixture of alcohol and water (1:1).  Residues of alcohol-based cleaning products are easily wiped away with a water-soaked cotton cloth.
+ Is The UV Box safe?
The UV lights do not come in contact with staff or patients.  The lights are completely enclosed within the decontamination chamber, so there is no danger.